Big Sister League of San Diego was established to serve the needs of women and children unable to find suitable housing in San Diego. During the war, many women traveled to San Diego to join husbands and boyfriends only to find that the men had already been sent to fight in the Pacific. Pursuant to local law, any woman without housing and on the street after 10 p.m. was taken to jail and separated from her children who were sent to Hillcrest Receiving Home.
Addressing this crisis, Mrs. Frances Woods and a small group of downtown professional women organized the Big Sister League, and the City of Hillcrest donated a home on Front Street to provided housing for 15 women and their children. Nightly, Mrs. Woods and her colleagues arrived at the jail to advocate on behalf of the homeless women, ultimately providing some of them a safe and comfortable place to stay.
An independent local charitable organization, BSL became a nonprofit corporation in 1942.
To learn more about our history, please click here.